04 Januar 2008

Falling…

I did it! I decided to go for that Bungy Jump the next day. I was pretty sure to struggle through loads of tourists first before I could get my ultimate adrenalin kick. But – surprisingly, there was no one except for Isabel, me, and three Thai blokes, selling me a T-Shirt, taking pictures and finally tieing me up, so I couldn’t escape.
50m doesn’t sound high at all. At least not for a Bungy Jump. And even less if you have been to Australia, where those heights reach 150m and over. So – I was a little bored, when that crane started to carry me off the ground and up into the air. I mean… I just booked it, because you have to do it sometime, and it was pretty cheap, compared with Aussie standards. I paid it as part of my christmas present from my parents. The rest will be spent shopping in Bangkok. Those were my thoughts, while I was trying to smalltalk with my instructor, a dude, who called himself Tarzan. I’m not exactly sure if he knew what that meant…
Anyway – after a few minutes ride we reached the top, and I was cool enough to catch a glimpse over the rim of our flying tea cup. Maybe I shouldn’t have done that. Done there, somewhere below, was Isabel with her camera, trying to get some good shots, but even with a 12x Optical zoom you can’t photograph a man on top of the Ex-World-Trade-Center – that is the height I felt. The only good thing was – even a man up there would have come down a few years ago. And so would I – but hopefully alive…
After the first shock I started to enjoy the view for a few seconds. Must have been long enough, to make Tarzan curious, if I might be scared and just trying to gain time. Nonsense. Such a fabulous view… *hrrrm*
Anyway – there was no way back. I had read the sign, there would be no refund for non-jumpers, so I made my dollars go as far as possible: 50 metres down.
To be honest: I was not half as exciting as I had imagined it to be. After not even a second of free fall, I felt the Bungy rope gripping, and knew that it was over. You start to slow down, long before the kick would have made you scream, scared or wet your pants. Boring.
But well, at least I can tell everyone I’ve been Bungy Jumping. Thanks, Mum & Dad!
Next time I might just have to look for something more interesting. Have you ever heard about the Niagara Falls?

1 Kommentar:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Well...you could try it at the Victoria Falls in Zambia. Would have been muuuuuuch higher. Anyway, I wouldn't!